I’m making this site, because I own a Brompton M6R, I bought it second hand from Ebay in May 2012. It had previously belonged to a guy in Bristol – a perfect environment for a folding bike. I actually live in France, near the Italian border in The French Alps, it’s a ski resort called Serre Chevalier, not really renown for it’s commuting population at all. Serre Chevalier is more about lightweight roadbikes and hardcore mountain bikes, not folding bikes. I have only ever seen my Brompton in this area, but I’d love to meet some other Brompton owners in the area and see what they are up to and where they are going.
So why did I buy a Brompton if I live in one of the most mountainous parts of Europe? Well there are several reasons:
- The purchase of my Brompton coincided with a UK Tour I was doing with my band that I play in. This was a perfect opportunity to explore my new personal freedom. Read more about The Harper Brothers UK Tour 2012 here.
- I’ve always wanted one. Ever since I knew what a Brompton was, I have wanted one. I’d heard of the Bickerton before, but they seemed a bit ugly to me. But the first Brompton I ever saw was on a train between Berkhamsted, Herts and London Euston. I stared at the folded ‘thing’ for the whole journey and was just amazed when the owner unfolded his Brompton at Euston Station and promptly rode off. This must have been a very early Brompton as the year was about 1988.
- I live in a very beautiful part of The World and it is just very cool to have my bike in the back of my car, so that when I find somewhere nice, I can just get it out and go for a ride.
- When I have several errands to do in my nearby town of Briançon, I like to just park my car and then get my bike out and go to all the various places I need to and then drive back. This is just super convenient and saves all those little trips and finding somewhere to park over and over again.
- I just like them, Bromptons are fun to ride and are a really fun talking point.